Thread: fund-raising relief campaign

Hybrid View

Default fund-raising relief campaign

My name is Rusty Zimmerman, writing from Oakland, California, USA. I'm just beginning to organize a massive fund-raising relief campaign and i'd like to know, from your perspective, what you think is the best way for someone like me to help. Are there charities to contribute to that you find to be more effective than others. What do people need most out there? is it water, food, medicine, etc? do tell. Your contribution will be much appreciated in helping me to direct my energies and the funds that i am set to raise.

thanks in advance, and i look forward to talking to you soon.

--rusty zimmerman

Oakland, CA, USA

tummy_rub@hotmail.com

Unregistered Unregistered

Default Rotary Clubs are on the Front Lines of Relief

Thanks for you concern and offer for assistance. In Thailand, money is what is most useful. It makes no sense to send anything all the way from the USA to Thailand, shipping costs will cost more than the goods sent and they will get hung up in customs with high taxes.

I am with the Rotary Club of Patong Beach; we have from day 1 set up several projects and relief commitments. We Rotarians, unlike major NGO's, have no staff expenses or overhead what so ever. 100% of what we get goes into relief. Following is a summary of our relief programs:

The tsunami has been a terrible tragedy and the exact toll of this disaster will never be fully measured. However, even in the difficult days of recovery and rebuilding, the outpouring of kindness from around the world brings gladness to the hearts of everyone touched by the disaster.

We will strive to keep you informed of the relief efforts which your kind donation allows. Our main vehicle for communication will be our website www.rotarypatong.org where we will post updates.

The members of the Rotary Club of Patong Beach have identified 7 projects in which the donations will be used:

Short Term Relief:
    1. In addition to the funds already spent on immediate relief, our club has allocated 250,000 (approx. $6,500) Baht for additional relief needs including food, water, shelter and clothing for survivors. More funds will be allocated to this as needed.

Mid Term Relief:
    2. Support for families to recover ? those in need of basic funds for food and shelter. This support will consist of direct cash donations of 6,000 baht (approx. $155) per month per family for up to a maximum of 8 months. This is intended to cover necessities till gainful employment brings regular income. The first families are already receiving aid and you can see the details of these families and the assistance at http://www.rotarypatong.org/tsunamirelief.htm by selecting the Families & Scholarships link.

3. Financial support for the reestablishment of small business ? grants to purchase the tools needed to get the family livelihood back, fishing nets, farm implements, carts, etc.

4. Water purification systems for schools, daycare and orphanages ? This project is to address the need for clean drinking water. The project will survey the need for clean water systems and implement required systems.

Long Term Relief
    5. Scholarships for children ? This effort is to insure children have the resources to complete high school (12th grade or Matayom Hok). Tuition is free but many families can no longer afford to send children to school, due to the cost of uniforms, books, pens, pencils, lunches, etc. The scholarships will be used toward the purchase of these items for children in need. The scholarships primary focus will be on children in need as the result of the tsunami, the secondary focus will be on children in need as the result of poverty.

Scholarships will be administered through school counselors and teachers; funds will not be disbursed to children or families directly. Annual meetings will be held with schools to review status and audit receipts for each student.

The funding will be 6,000 baht (approx. $155) per year per student for the 2 pre-school years and 6 primary years, then 8,000 baht (approx. $208) per year per student for years 7-12. Including inflation, that works out at a maximum of around 120,000 baht (approx. $3,117) total per student. We have allocated sufficient funds to cover the school life for the first group of 20 children and applications are currently being processed.

We are actively seeking other donors to sponsor one or more pupils either by making lump sum donations, or by making long term commitments to annually remit funds, to our foundation.

6. Permanent location for the Patong Beach Childcare Centre ? This task force is working to secure a permanent location for this day-care facility for the children of the poor. The original rented location was destroyed to make way for new construction. While the loss of the original location was not the result of the tsunami; the poor have been especially hard hit by the economic after effects of the tsunami and there are many more children now in this situation. This day-care facility was a big help to insure the children had at least one meal a day and some supervision while parents were working.

7. Adopted Village ? The Rotary Club of Patong Beach has adopted the village of Ban Pak Trium (formerly Ao Khoei). Ao Khoei was a fishing village located on a small peninsula, approximately 63 km. North of Takuapa in Pang Nga Province. As it was situated directly on the west-facing beach, the entire village was destroyed by the Tsunami. The villagers lost their homes, most of their fishing fleet, along with approximately 1/3 of the residents of the village. They have established a temporary camp under tents near the site where they wish to rebuild their village. The rebuilt Village will be renamed Ban Pak Trium. The 23 remaining families of the village are working hard to rebuild and restore their lives. The Rotary Club of Patong Beach has been delivering food, water and basic supplies to the village approximately every three days. The Rotary Club will continue to support the village with food and move into helping for longer term projects including:

* Assistance to rebuild and refit the long-tail fishing boats so they can feed themselves and generate an income again, projected to cost 1,558,100 Baht (approximate $40,500)
    * Full cost of rebuilding 23 homes for the reaming families at 89,000 Baht (approx US $2,300) or a total of 2,047,000 Baht (approx. US $52,900)
    * A water well, water tower, and water distribution system for the new village.
    * a drinking water purification system so they can have clean drinking water for the village, the initial stage of this will cost 100,000 Baht (approx. $2,600 )

Thank you again!

Best regards,

Brad Kenny
    Chairman, Community Services Committee.
    esppkt@phuket.ksc.co.th

Default Not money

Rusty

Thanks for your email and your concern. The best thing your scheme could do would be to send DNA expertise over to Thailand. There are a lot of people over here looking for loved ones. If they can confirm their relatives are in fact dead, then can start to get on with their lives. DNA is the only route for this. Thailand has its own resources but can certainly use more expertise.

Let me know what you think about this.

John@DT

Thread Information