Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Tips for Visiting Temples in Thailand

Default Five Tips for Visiting Temples in Thailand

Visiting Thailand’s gorgeous temples is often a highlight of a visit to the country. History, culture, and atmosphere all combine for a uniquely Thai experience.
    You don’t have to be Buddhist to visit a Buddhist temple in Thailand. But just because you don’t practice the religion doesn’t mean you shouldn’t respect it, especially in a place of worship. Following a few simple guidelines will make your visit better for both you and for the Thai worshippers and monks. Below are some tips both for behavior, and for making the most out of a visit.
    Go in the morning
    This tip has less to do with your behavior than it does ensuring your visit as the best ambience. Arriving early in the morning to one of Thailand’s wats can be an amazing experience. Monks are out receiving their alms at dawn, the sun is rising, and there’s a feeling of calm serenity throughout.
    Besides the environment, the air is usually much cooler. Furthermore, there will be fewer tourists early in the morning.

Cover up
    I see far too many tourists wearing clothes that are inappropriate for temples, and usually Thais are too polite to correct them (however, you can also be refused entry). Though the dress code might seem strict by Western standards, remember that it’s all relative. You wouldn’t walk into a Catholic cathedral in your bra or boxers would you? Of course not. Well, wearing inappropriate clothing (shorts, hats, or shoulder-bearing shirts) is the equivalent of that for Thais. Respect it.

Mind the monks
    Monks are holy. Going back to the Catholic reference: you wouldn’t flirt with a priest, would you? In a similar vein, women should not touch monks. If I see a monk coming towards me on the sidewalk, I step down into the street as we pass. I don’t make a big deal out of it; I just do it and then step back on, never breaking my stride. Women should not even touch the robes of a monk, so making room helps eliminate that chance.

Be respectful
    Besides minding your dress and your way with monks, you should also watch your voice level. Speak quietly, don’t bring food or drink inside, spit out your gum, take off your hat, and generally be on your best behavior. Don’t touch any Buddha statues or holy trees, and remove your shoes when you enter the inside of a temple. (Hint: look for the telltale piles of shoes outside!) Everyone around you will appreciate the effort you take to be respectful.

Get a guide
    For larger, more popular temples, such as ones in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, getting a guide can be very helpful for interpreting everything that you see. Guides can point out small details, offer historical context, and explain nuances and subtleties in art and architecture. Hiring a local guide is not only a great way to support local economy, but it will enrich your own experience.

Any more tips for a temple visit in Thailand?
    Last edited by discoverythailandadmin; 08-10-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Indochina tours : http://www.indochinatraveltours.com - Cambodia tours : http://www.cambodiatraveltours.net - Halong bay cruise : http://www.halongbay-cruise.com

Pointing is considered as a rude thing in some countries like Indonesian ,if you want to point anyone,use your thumb instead of forefinger.
    Better to be cultural in everything,it may you dress,thinking, behavior etc...
    Avoid photography in temples.
    Try to book Florida Villas, where one can feel the home atmosphere.

I will visit Thailand soon. And thanks for this tips..
    http://www.discoverluxury.com/

Well everyone have there religion and they have some feeling about there religion. I am a Muslim and i have Faith in ALLAH. So i feel good when i visit Mosque.

well and fine tips for Bangkok tourist places, if any body want to book flights from London visit dearflight for same.

There are lot of visiting places where people want to go. i got some of them very attractive.

Exactly. When your going to a religious place you should try not to damage its sanctity.

The tips which you have specified for visiting the best temple in the Thailand is the awesome. I am the person who has implement this thing in practically and I have got it's real advantage.
    Last edited by discoverythailandadmin; 06-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.

No trip to Thailand is complete without visiting a select handful of famous temples; just beware: trying to see too many temples in one week is a sure way to become burned out! Take time to absorb what you've seen in a temple before rushing to visit the next one.
    Last edited by discoverythailandadmin; 06-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Hello,

Here are a some important tips which are neccessary to follow before you can travel in Thailand:
    1. Remove hats, sunglasses, and shoes when entering a worship area.
    2.Turn off your mobile phone, remove headphones, and lower your voice.
    3.Show respect; now is not the time to share the latest joke you just heard.
    4.Step over the wooden threshold to the temple rather than on top of it.
    5.If you are sitting, stand up when monks or nuns enter the Bot.
    6.Always use your right hand when giving or receiving something from monk.
    Compass Tours offer a full range of tours - so whether you are looking for an easy or a strenuous trip, we can help you plan it.
    http://www.compasstours.com

Thread Information