A couple of years ago my wife (Thai) did something I haven't seen since. There was a sudden and violent rainstorm; lightening, thunder, the works. Rather than closing windows, etc. to stop the rain coming in, my wife ran to the kitchen, got a banana, and, braving the onslaught, ran to the front gate and placed the banana at the front of the house. She was drenched to the skin and calmly ran back inside, dried herself off and sat down. I have to admit I was somewhat bewildered and asked innocently "What on earth were you doing?? My wife turned to me and gave me this incredulous look that suggested I'd asked the one of the most stupid questions she had ever heard. "I was putting a banana at the front of the house so the gods think animals live here instead of humans, of course," she told me. Now after a few years in Thailand, I pride myself on knowing a few things about the country and its people. But during all the years I have been here, I have never seen anyone else doing this or ever met anyone who knew anything about this practice (I have asked lots of people along the way). So, I would like this forum to put my mind at ease: Is this common practice in Thailand or is this just something my wife came up with of her own accord?